Protecting yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning

By  | 

Knoxville (WVLT) The workers at last night's chemical leak were very fortunate.

Many times carbon monoxide kills with no warning at all.

Volunteer TV's Jim Freeman has more on how to protect your family at home.

Dubbed the silent killer, carbon monoxide has no smell, and symptoms are much like that of the flu.

And death can come fast.

Only a few dollars stand between keeping you and your family safe from carbon monoxide.

Andrew Rutter with Parker Brothers Hardware says, "the digital read out from $40 down to a starting price range of 24-99."

Captain Brent Seymour with the Knoxville Fire Department says, "if you have any type of gas fed appliance inside your home, you need to have a carbon monoxide detector."

Buying a little device can keep you safe from, as Robyn Belcher, a paramedic describes, "you would probably start off with signs of a headache. You may experience some stinging in your eyes. Start of shortness of breath."

Feeling faint, light headed or even dizzy.

And should you have such symptoms, pick up the phone.

Belcher says, "get out of the residence and call 911."

Cooler days have us hunting for heat, and our chances of encountering carbon monoxide also called C-O increase.

Belcher says, "happens more through the winter than it does through the summer due to people starting fireplaces, kerosene heaters, trying to warm up their cars in garages when the garage door's closed."

All the more reason to have a detector in your home.

When it comes to your carbon monoxide detector, read the instructions.

It lists places best to put it and places where you should not put it.

Among the best places: where you can hear the alarm from all sleeping areas.

In or near bedrooms and living areas or wherever you suspect CO exposure is likely.

And the National Fire Protection Association also suggests one carbon monoxide detector for each level of your home.

Whether you have a detector or not, ventilation is vital.

Belcher continues, "when you start using your kerosene heater and fireplace, make sure everything's well ventilated."

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus