Fire at YMCA in Knoxville

Downtown Knoxville (WVLT) - Fire crews believe they know what started at the YMCA in Downtown Knoxville.

The fire started at about 3:00am Friday morning at the building on Clinch Avenue.

Luckily, the fire department is just a few blocks away and crews were able to get to the fire fairly quickly.

Investigators say the fire started in the sauna room.

They were able to contain the flames to that room and say there is just some smoke damage in other areas.

Darrell Whitaker with the Knoxville Fire Department says they believe a problem with electrical wiring started the fire.

"We do know they're in the process of remodeling so the potential there's an electrical problem short is very high," said Whitaker.

No one was inside when the fire started.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus