Good Samaritan helps mother of baby injured in house fire

By  | 

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT)-- An 8-month-old baby suffered second-degree burns Tuesday in a North Knoxville house fire.

It happened on the 400 hundred block of Hiawassee Avenue just before 2 p.m.

Accoridng to the Knoxville Fire Department, the fire broke out near a space heater inside the bedroom the baby was in. There was also a 13-month-old inside the home.

The mother ran outside and flagged down a passing driver with the baby in her arms.

"She was waving me down in Spanish telling me, "Please help me, please help me. My house is on fire," Vianne told Local 8 News.

The good samaritan stopped to help and called 911.

Vianne said she's glad she was in the right place at the right time because the mother didn't speak any English. Vianne just so happened to speak Spanish and helped the mother communicate with emergency crews.

The 8-month-old was taken to UT Medical Center where she is recovering.

Her family is spending the night at a local hotel with the help of the Red Cross.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus