Cat rescued from Seymour house fire

By  | 

SEYMOUR, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Charlie Dunlap watched his home go up in flames.

"I am just in a blur right now, I just wanted to get me and my family out safe," he said.

Dunlap and his wife almost lost everything.

Around 4 a.m. they woke up to the sound of smoke alarms.

"They were all going off in the house and we saw smoke coming through the vents," said Dunlap.

Dunlap and his wife quickly tried grab their most prized possessions, but their beloved cat was nowhere in sight.

As Seymour fire crews doused the flames to save his house, he tried to remain positive.

"We're just glad everybody is safe, that's what counts," said Dunlap.

He thought he'd never see his pet again, until an investigator heard cries coming from the back bedroom.

Tabby was rescued within minutes; the owner and pet snuggled for a precious moment.

"We've had him for 10 years, he's like a family member," said Dunlap.

Investigators say the over worked heating and air unit sparked the fire.

Kevin Nunn --Seymour Fire Chief said, "This time of year, we see a lot of chimney and HaVAC fires, heating fires."

The damage to the house was minimal, so the Dunlaps will be able to move back in.

In the meantime, they're just happy to be together and alive.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus