Family dog helps save couple from fire

Fire at Alpine Hideaway Campground. (Source: Kyle Grainger, WVLT)

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) - A Pigeon Forge family says they were able to escape from their burning home thanks to their dog barking.

Judy Greene and her husband are property managers of the Alpine Hideaway Campground, but now they are homeless. The coupled lived in the 2nd floor of the campgrounds front office that burned down.

"Very scary, that's the scariest I've ever been in my life," said Judy Greene. "That's the closest I've ever been to death. I mean I'm thankful everyday that I wake up now."

Greene believes the fire was started from a heater, and firefighters say you should take extra care when heating this winter.

Paul Lambert with Sevier County Fire says kerosene and space heaters should be at least 3 feet on all sides away from walls or materials like clothing or curtains.

"Another good tip, keep the heater away from furniture, away from clothing, away from rugs such as this, don't have the rug over accidentally," said Lambert.

Lambert also reminds people to have a working smoke detector and if you are heating with kerosene or gas to have a carbon monoxide detector.

The family has moved into a home on the campground until they can rebuild.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus