Firefighters extinguish Knoxville house fire

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Just before 5:00 a.m. Sunday morning, Knoxville Fire Department was called to the 400 block of Circle Hill Drive off Sutherland Ave. for a report of a house fire.

When crews arrived they found a home full of smoke with no visible flames. Firefighters found the adult daughter of the homeowner, who was still inside.

Master Firefighter Kevin Baldwin rushed inside the home and rescued the mother.

Crews then went directly to work searching for the source.

The homeowner reported she threw smoldering embers from a commercially purchased fire starter log down a fireplace clean out chute into the basement around 9:00 p.m. last night, which fire investigators believe may have started the fire.

Flames traveled between the walls and into the attic space, breaching the roof before firefighters could gain access to that area. The fire was knocked down and appeared to be under control by 6:00 a.m., but KFD remained on the scene searching for hot spots that might remain.

The homeowner was sent to Park West Hospital for observation. No firefighters are reported injured.

Fire Tip: never place ashes in any thing other than a metal container with an air tight lid. Make sure all fireplaces and chimneys are inspected by a certified chimney sweep prior to use, and always burn seasoned hard wood, never damp or green wood to prevent unburned particles from building up in the chimney area.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus