Heat lamp - warming baby chicks - blamed for deadly Pigeon Forge fire

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A heat lamp that was placed in a box of wood shavings meant to keep baby chicks warm is to blame for a deadly fire in Pigeon Forge over the weekend, according to the Sevier Co. Sheriff's Office.

Marjorie C. King, 73, succumbed to the smoke while trying to make sure all her other family members got outside. She did not realize they already had escaped.

Fire Investigator James Breeden determined the fire, which had started in the carport area, was accidental. He noted that there were smoke detectors in the home, but said he did not know if they were working.

People inside at the time claimed they never heard the smoke detectors, but instead saw smoke and falling debris.

Pigeon Forge Police Officers tried to reach King, but were driven back by heavy smoke and fire.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus