Miami of Ohio ends soccer season for Lady Vols

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee's soccer season came to a dramatic conclusion on Sunday afternoon as Miami (Ohio) scored with nine seconds left in regulation then tallied the winner in OT for a 3-2 finale at Regal Soccer Stadium. UT finishes at 14-5-3 in its first season under head coach Brian Pensky.
The RedHawks (20-2-1) continue their 16-game unbeaten streak as they will take on Duke on Friday night at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va.
"I just told the kids that we're sorry," Tennessee head coach Brian Pensky said. "Our wound is pretty open right now. Our kids are hurting, especially our kids that don't get to do this any longer as seniors. We're also in shock. You don't give away a goal with nine seconds left all that often. I still don't think that when we went into overtime that we imagined ourselves losing this game. I'd say we're shocked and we're hurting right now."
Miami's Kayla Zakrzewski scored the winner 4:43 into overtime as her shot went across the box and into the right side of the net inside the post setting off a celebration for the women in red. Tennessee saw its season come to an end as seniors Kylie Bono, Ali Hall, Amy Harrison, Alexis Owens and R.B. Wyatt all played their final games with the Lady Vols.
"I would first congratulate Tennessee on an outstanding season," Miami head coach Bobby Kramig said. "They are without question the best team we've seen all year. They certainly came prepared to do battle today. It was quite a test."
After Tennessee controlled most of the second half, a desperate Miami team pushed forward in the final minutes and scored the game-tying goal with nine seconds left in regulation as Kelsey Dinges lobbed the game-tying goal over Julie Eckel's head from about 35 yards on the left side out to send the game to extra time.
Caroline Brown's goal with 15 minutes left in regulation had given Tennessee its second lead of the game at 2-1. Katie Lenz set up the goal with a soft tap assist to Brown, who deposited the ball to the lower right corner. To that point, Tennessee had outshot Miami, 6-0 in the second half.
The teams traded goals midway through the first half, 1:20 apart. Owens, in what would be her final game with UT, scored on a rebound shot after Miami's keeper Allison Norenberg (four saves) was unable to control the ball.
Miami quickly responded a minute later as Katy Kolesh scored on a corner kick header into the top corner of the goal. That deadlocked the game at 1-1, where it stood for nearly 50 minutes.
Miami advances to face Duke in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday in Charlottesville, Va.