Tennessee falls to Michigan 73-71 in Sweet 16

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (AP/WVLT) - After a magical run of three consecutive NCAA Tournament victory, the Tennessee basketball season came to an end on Friday night. The 11th-seeded Vols suffered a 73-71 defeat at the hands of #2 seed Michigan before the largest crowd to ever watch a Tennessee basketball game.

The Vols finished the season at 24-13 overall, winning three NCAA Tournament games for just the second time in history and reaching the Sweet 16 for the seventh time in program annals.

Michigan (28-8) advances to the Elite Eight by virtue of red-hot shooting. The Wolverines knocked down 55.0 from the floor in the game, including 61.5 in the first half as they built an 11-point halftime advantage.

Senior Jordan McRae scored a game-high 24 points in his final college basketball game. Junior Josh Richardson, who has been torrid throughout the postseason, added 19 points. Jarnell Stokes finished with 11 points and 6 rebounds.

The Wolverines were led by Jordan Morgan, who scored 15. He was joined by three other Michigan players in double-figures: Nik Stauskas (14), Glenn Robinson III (13) and Caris LeVert (10).

Down by as many as 13 in the first half, the Vols fell behind by 15 midway through the second half before battling to within one point with 10.8 left in regulation.

Tennessee used an 8-0 run to get within seven at 60-53 on a Maymon lay-up with 7:53 left in the game. Morgan ended the spurt with a hook in the lane, to put the Wolverines back up by nine.

Richardson's steal and feed to McRae cut the deficit to six at 62-56 with 6:45 remaining.

A Stauskas 3-pointer with 3:37 left in the game regained a double-figure lead for the Wolverines. After Stokes and McRae scored to cut the margin to six again, Morgan dunked one home for an eight-point Michigan lead, 72-64 with 2:22 left.

McRae's 3-point play brought the Vols within five, 72-67 -- the closest the Vols were since trailing 27-22 with 6:43 left in the first half. .
The Vols forced a shot clock violation after McRae blocked Robinson with 42 seconds left in the game.

Tennessee cut the game to a one possession contest in the final seconds. Richardson's runner made it 72-69 with 24.6 left.
McRae's lay-up with 10.8 seconds left off a Michigan turnover, made it one point, 72-71.

A controversial offensive foul call was whistled on Stokes with six seconds left as the Vols had a chance to take the lead. Stauskas in the final seconds for the final of 73-71.

The Wolverines built a 45-34 lead at intermission. Michigan was blazing hot in the first half, shooting 16-of-26 from the floor (61.5) including a remarkable 7-of-9 from 3-point range (77.8). The Vols shot 50 percent.
Richardson led all scorers over the first 20 minutes with 13 points, making 6-of-8. Levert tallied 10 for Michigan.

Michigan used a 13-2 run finished by a Stauskas dunk after back-to-back 3-pointers to take a 15-7 lead with 15:26 minutes left in the first half.

Darius Thompson finished off a 3-point play to regain the lead for the Vols, 19-18 with 11:20 left in the half.

The Wolverines' red-hot shooting continued as they compiled a 16-4 run to take a 36-25 lead with 4:36 left in the first half. Michigan made seven of its first nine from behind the arc.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus