Vols lose to Ole Miss in overtime, 77-72

NEW ORLEANS (release) -- After Skylar McBee sent the game to OT with 2.1 seconds left in regulation, Ole Miss withstood the Vols for a 77-72 overtime victory in the SEC Quarterfinals. The game was never separated by more than two possessions until the final minutes of overtime. The Vols (18-14) lost for just the second time in their last 10 games and will await their national postseason fate, which will be revealed on Sunday.

McBee, who struggled early, was the key cog in the Vols' offense down the stretch as he finished with 15 points, making 5-of-11 from the 3-point range.

The trio of senior Cameron Tatum (15 points), junior Jeronne Maymon (11 points and 17 rebounds) and sophomore Trae Golden (game-high 21 points) were strong for the Vols. Freshman Jarnell Stokes grabbed 11 rebounds for his fourth double-figure board game this season before fouling out in overtime.

Maymon's rebounds were the second-most by a Vol all-time in the SEC Tournament, behind Stevie Hamer's SEC Tourney record 21 set in 1996.

Ole Miss (20-12) was led by Terrance Henry, who tallied 19 points and had six rebounds. Jarvis Summers scored 17 points. Reginald Buckner had 14 points and nine rebounds.

Summers put Ole Miss ahead for good in overtime with a jumper with 3:35 left in overtime at 65-63. Henry canned another jumper with 2:49 left in OT for a four-point lead, 67-63. Tennessee then suffered a blow as Maymon fouled out with 2:25 left in regulation. Reginald Buckner made 1-of-2 resulting free throws for a five-point margin.

Murphy Holloway's putback with 1:34 left in OT marked the game's largest lead at seven, 70-63. But McBee answered with a 3-pointer just 12 seconds later.

Buckner then tipped in a miss for Ole Miss with 48.1 left and a 72-66 lead. Jordan McRae made 1-of-2 foul shots. After Henry made two free throws McBee gave the Vols life with a 3-pointer with 29.7 left in OT. That cut Ole Miss' lead to 74-70.

Ladrius White missed two free throws keeping the Vols alive with 25.4 seconds left. Stokes then made two free throws with 14.5 left to cut the deficit to two at 74-72.

Henry made three free throws in the final 11.6 left to regain a two-possession lead and seal the win.

McBee sent the game into overtime with a bank-shot 3-pointer with 2.1 seconds in regulation to tie the game at 61 all.

Ole Miss took the lead 58-56 on a 3-point play by Henry with 2:19 left in the second half. Buckner added a free throw with 1:35 left for a 3-point edge.

With 29 seconds left Nick Williams missed a jumper for the Rebels and the Vols got the rebound as the ball went out of bounds off Ole Miss. Golden was fouled with 9.8 seconds left and made two free throws to bring the Vols back within one at 59-58.

Henry made two free throws with 9.1 left as Tennessee regained possession down three, 61-58.

McBee, who struggled much of the night gave Tennessee a lead at 54-53 with 4:53 left in regulation.

The game stood tied at 28 at halftime with Golden (11) and Maymon (10) combining for 21 of UT's 28 points. Maymon had 11 boards in the first half alone. Ole Miss was whistled for 14 fouls in the first half.

Tennessee made a season-low six first-half field goals.

Tennessee had a sluggish start from the field and made just three of its first 22 shots over the first 17:41 of the game. Despite the poor shooting start, Tennessee never trailed by more than two possessions for the entire half. Tennessee was within one possession for the final 7:30 after being tied at 16 all. The Vols had Tatum to thank for keeping them in the game as he had 10 of UT's first 11 points. In fact Tatum was the only Vol to make a field goal for the game's first 17-plus minutes until Golden tied the game at 23 all on a runner with 2:19 left in the first half.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus