Basket and rope used to pull Kentucky toddler to safety

By  | 

SALYERSVILLE Ky. (WYMT) - A Kentucky toddler who has been missing for days was found alive Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators are looking for 22-month-old Kenneth Howard. He went missing Sunday night. /Source: WKYT

According to WYMT, rescue crews said 22-month-old Kenneth Howard was found "in remarkably good condition" despite being outside alone since Sunday. Officials said he is being treated for dehydration.

According to Magoffin County Rescue, a search team with an expert tracker heard crying and were able to track him to the bottom of a 50-foot incline. Crews used a basket and a rope to pull him to safety.

Crews said Howard was found 1,755 feet away from his home over rough terrain.

Howard was previously seen Sunday at his home near the county line Sunday night. Crews had extended their search into Floyd County Tuesday.

Kenneth Howard was missing since 7:30 p.m. Sunday night. Family members said they believe he may have walked out the back door of his home.

"I would just like to see him come home safe," Elden said. "I guess it's adrenaline. I can't rest, can't eat. I've ate one bologna sandwich since Sunday."

The search for the blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy lasted for about 23 hours before search teams suspended their efforts Monday night. The search resumed around noon on Tuesday. 

Outside Kenneth's home early Tuesday morning, his father, Elden Howard described how emotional this has been for him and his wife.

"She's in pretty bad shape too, she'd tore all to pieces. It's just not knowing what to do. We've searched everywhere we can think of they've had dog teams in here, nothing's showing up."

When asked about what he thinks happened, Elden said, "yeah, it's just like he disappeared. No sign, no nothing. That's the reason I'm started to think, if we can't find him, somebody's picked him up."

The father said he will give $5,000 to anyone who returns his son, no questions asked.

"Well he'd go from morning to night full blast, he'd never slow down. He'd take about an hour's nap during through the day, and got the rest of the time until about 9:30 or 10 o'clock at night. Every day he's like that," Elden said while describing his son's personality.

All day Monday, there were helicopters, drones with thermal cameras, K9 search teams, off-road vehicles, and others searching on foot. Elden was moved by the number of people who came to help.

"I'd say there are 40 or 50 people in the hills searching all day," he said. "Best thing I could've seen is everybody showing up."

Copyright 2019 WYMT. All rights reserved.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus