Elderly woman loses life in Rogersville house fire

ROGERSVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL) - An early morning fire early Monday morning in which a Rogersville woman lost her her life is under investigation.

Fire crews were called to a house fire on Chambers Street in Rogersville early Monday morning.

The victim Peggy Byrd lived in the house alone and died due to possible smoke inhalation according to the family.

The family said that the fire started in the living room, possibly because of a faulty lamp. Peggy Byrd’s daughter-in-law said there was a security system in the home that alerted police about the fire.

Ms. Byrd lived in this house since 1974. She was 81 years old.