KNOXVILLE, Tenn, (WVLT) --- The Knox County Fire Bureau shared some tips for safely heating your home in preparation for winter weather this week.
There are many things to be aware of when heating your home to prevent fires and other sefety hazzards.
According to a Facebook post by KCFB, you should routinely inspect things like your fireplace, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors if using gas or wood to heat your home.
You can find the full safety checklist below.
1. Have your fireplace routinely maintained by a licensed chimney sweep at an interval you feel appropriate based on your use to insure it’s safe to use.
2. If you use portable space heaters always keep them at least 3’ from anything combustible: furniture, drapery, bedding, paper products.
3. Never leave a space heater on and unattended and never leave them running while you are sleeping.
4. Take time to check on elderly neighbors to make sure they are safe.
5. Make sure you are prepared to stay in if weather makes traveling hazardous. If road conditions are dangerous, choose not to leave the safety of your home for unnecessary reasons.
6. Make sure all your smoke alarms have had they battery backups changed atleast once within the last 12 months.
7. If you’re smoke alarms are over 10 years old, they need to be replaced to insure properly function and the most timely warning in a fire emergency.
8. If you are using gas or wood to heat your home or gas for cooking, make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home if it’s more than 1 story.