Ways to keep your child healthy during the school year
As the new school year starts, East Tennessee Children's Hospital shares advice for parents to keep your kids well.
Darci Hodge, ETCH Director of Infection Control shared these tips:
· Keep vaccination current
· Teach them good hand hygiene principles: soap and water as much as possible, alcohol gel/foam when hands are not visibly soiled and soap and water not available.
· Teach them to cover their cough: sneeze into a tissue or their elbow.
· Get plenty of rest: helps fight infections.
· Stay home when they are sick: vomiting and or diarrhea with fever 100.3 or greater? Need to stay home and away from others.
· Don’t ignore things we think might be minor health issues: rash, sinus infections, stomach pains, diarrhea etc. That could be early signs of something more serious or lead to a more serious condition if the child does not improve.
· Don’t forget cleanliness -
1. Showers and baths not only take care of odor, they wash off the germs that could cause infection.
2. Sports or gym equipment need to be cleaned on a regular basis to eliminate bacteria and viruses that can cause illness
3. Washing clothes or putting them out in the sun helps kill germs that can cause odor and disease