Update: Veterans asking for help after fire breaks out at a Knoxville shelter

By  | 

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) --- According to the CEO of Steps House, Jody McClurg, several veterans lost everything in the fire, including hygiene products and bedding.

The structure is a “step house”, which places homeless veterans in homes here in Knoxville. / Source Knoxville Fire Department.

There is now a donation drop-off location at 2301 Davenport in Knoxville, or anyone can donate by visiting their website.

The Knoxville Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire in South Knoxville early Saturday morning.

KFD was dispatched to the fire at 2027 Lincoln St. at 6:30 a.m. The structure was identified as a "step house", a place that houses homeless Knoxville veterans.

Crews arrived to the scene to find flames coming from the back of the house and the tenants of the home had already safely evacuated.

Firefighters reported that the flames were extinguished and under control within ten minutes of arrival.

According to one of the residents, the fire was ignited when he attempted to dry personal papers in the microwave, then placed the hot papers outside, near the back door of the home. The tenant returned to the papers to find flames climbing the outer walls of the home.

No injuries were reported during this incident.

Copyright 2019 WVLT. All rights reserved.