Lonsdale Elementary reopens Tuesday after carbon monoxide scare
Knox County Schools announced students will return to class at Lonsdale Elementary on Tuesday morning per usual.
School starts at 7:45 a.m.
According to Knox County Schools, Lonsdale Elementary closed Monday morning due to an elevated carbon monoxide reading in the building.
Russ Oaks, Chief Operating Officer for Knox County Schools, said the school contacted the fire department to respond to a haze or smoke around the building at 7:30 a.m. Monday.
"When the fire department got there, I understand they contacted their hazmat unit to come in and monitor the building," Oaks said.
Students and staff were evacuated from the building. Students were taken to Sam E. Hill Primary School a few blocks away, and their parents were notified to come pick them up. Some students were taken to the Rec Center across from the school.
"We evacuated everyone from the building and our maintenance people inspected the facility and they found a gas fire hot water heater that had a leaking flue, and that's the repair that we're making at this time," Oaks said.
Oaks said the safety of their students is their main focus.
"We take these kinds of instances very seriously and we are looking closely at Lonsdale to determine if we have any other anomalous situations at any of our older facilities around the county," Oaks said.
Oaks said they plan to install temporary carbon monoxide alarms in certain areas of the building.
Knox County School officials said carbon monoxide alarms are not required to be in schools in Tennessee.
Oaks said school should be back to normal for Lonsdale students and staff on Tuesday.