Timeline of the Evelyn Boswell case

By  | 

SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The disappearance of 15-month-old Evelyn Boswell, of Sullivan County, Tennessee, captured the attention of people living in several states.

15-month-old Evelyn Mae Boswell / Source: (TBI)

Anyone with any information about the case are asked to call 1-800-TBI-FIND.

February 19, 2020

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation issued an AMBER Alert for 15-month-old Evelyn Boswell on February 19, after she was reported missing on February 18. She had not been seen since December 2019.

Officials said the search for Evelyn was sparked by a referral from the Department of Children's Service after the child's grandfather, Tommy Boswell, reported his concerns. He said he had not seen Evelyn since Thanksgiving 2019. Boswell reportedly told CBS affiliate WJHL that he "didn't know what happened, but I'm the one who called DCS and got this started."

February 20, 2020

On February 20, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation released another photograph of Evelyn, hoping to reach more people.

February 21, 2020

On February 21, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation reported that investigators were seeking information about a gray BMW, and that the individuals traveling in it were connected to Evelyn.

That same day, the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office held a news conference to announce conflicting information provided by family members of the 15-month-old girl.

Sheriff Jeff Cassidy told the media that his office received conflicting reports about when Evelyn disappeared. He said one report indicated that Evelyn was last seen on December 26. However, Sheriff Cassidy told media that a babysitter claimed to have seen her on December 10 or 11 and those dates were more accurate.

Officials said the child's parents, Megan "Maggie" Boswell and Ethan Perry, were both involved with the investigation. Perry, the sheriff said, was stationed in the military in Louisiana. The sheriff said the mother had full custody of Evelyn. However, the sheriff said some of the information from the mother had been not been "accurate."

"Her stories aren't leading up to stuff we went out and checked on," the sheriff said, pointing to video surveillance evidence and eye witness testimonies, but he would not clarify what those were. The sheriff said described some of the information as "conflicting" and "inaccurate." The sheriff said they believed Evelyn was alive.

As of February 21, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said more than 300 leads had come in about Evelyn's disappearance, none developing into any credible sightings.

Also on February 21, Megan Boswell spoke with WCYB outside of a Bristol courtroom. Boswell told WCYB that she knew who had Evelyn and didn't want to contact police because she thought the person would disappear with her daughter.

"The reason I didn't report it or anything was I knew the person who had her, and I didn't want them to run away with her," Boswell told WCYB. "I'm just kinda worried, you know, about where they are at. What they're doing with her at this point in time."

She claimed that Evelyn was with a person she trusted to watch her daughter while she was at work.

On the night of February 21, several hours after Megan spoke with WCYB, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation announced that the vehicle wanted in connection to Evelyn had been discovered in Wilkes County, North Carolina.

Evelyn was not found. Fox 8 later reported that two people, William McCloud and Angela Boswell, were arrested in connection to the vehicle for theft over $2,500. Angela Boswell is Megan's mother.

February 22, 2020

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation announced on social media that the search for Evelyn continued.

A petition for "Evelyn's Law" was launched and addressed to the Tennessee State Senate. The petition asked lawmakers to craft a law making it illegal for parents to wait longer than 24-72 hours to report a missing child.

February 23, 2020

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation released a new photograph of Evelyn and said agents and detectives were working around the clock to find her.

February 24, 2020

On the afternoon of February 24, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation released new video of Evelyn and new information.

TBI officials said the conflicting statements and the fact that Evelyn was not immediately reported missing made the case complicated. They said they didn't know why it took so long for the search to begin.

Also that day, Angela Boswell was extradited back to Tennessee.

That night, Megan Boswell spoke to WJHL and told them that her mother, Angela, had taken Evelyn to Mendota, Virginia.

"I told TBI where to find her in Mendota. My mom took her to a campground in a silver camper and if they don’t go tonight, I’m going to go find her myself, because I’ve told them and they’re not really like taking it seriously and if they don’t go tonight, I will go myself and go get her…They’re not taking me seriously, TBI isn’t, because I’ve not fully told them I’ve been like ‘hey, like my mom camped out in Mendota, you know, to go check them out,’ but I’ve never been like, ‘hey,’ specifically, ‘hey, she’s like in a silver camper,’ because my mom did threaten me like you know if I told anybody – I’m not gonna get into that – but she did,” Boswell told WJHL.

Megan said her mother "was just going off on" her after the AMBER Alert was announced on February 19.

She also told WJHL that she wanted to address rumors about her family.

“Gypsies are not a cult. They have been asking people if there is like a Gypsy ringleader and like…I mean like we’re not like ringleaders, we’re not like out here kidnapping babies, or anything like that. Well, yeah, and like my dad’s very proud of that, you know, but he’s just mad about all the rumors going around like trashing them cause like we’re not a cult, you know what I mean, we’re not like, nothing like that at all,” Boswell said.

WJHL reported that the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office scoured a campground in Mendota but found nothing.

February 25, 2020

On February 25, WJHL reported that Megan told them in a Facebook message that she was pregnant and that she couldn't take a polygraph test because of it.

Around 4:20 p.m., the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation reported that more than 500 tips related to Evelyn's disappearance had been reported. At that time, there were no credible sightings.

Later that evening, Megan was at the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office talking with investigators for several hours.

There were unsubstantiated reports circulating on social media that investigators were going to Mendota to search for Evelyn. The sheriff's office said that was not true.

Captain Andy Seabolt said, "Investigators did ask the US Marshals and the Washington County Virginia Sheriff's Office to check campgrounds in Mendota yesterday [February 24], but there has been no further mention of Mendota today [February 25]."

Their response came after the child's mother spent hours in the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday. As of 9 p.m. that night, she was still at the sheriff's office.

WVLT News reporter Robert Grant spoke with a group of people who were waiting outside the sheriff's office, readying to confront Megan about Evelyn's disappearance.

WVLT News reporter Robert Grant arrived on scene at the sheriff's office around 5 p.m.

Nearly five hours after Grant arrived, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation announced she had been taken into custody and was being charged by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office with false reporting.

Evelyn was still missing. The sheriff's office said Boswell's bond was set at $25,000 and that she was being held at the Sullivan County Jail.

WVLT News reporter Robert Grant went live again after Boswell's arrest was announced.

February 26, 2020

On February 26, the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office held a press conference after the arrest of Megan Boswell.

Investigators said Boswell was arrested for false reporting after continuously giving bad information and conflicting reports.

"Every time we talk to her, her story changes. I'm serious when I say that every single time," said Captain Andrew Seabolt.

Just after the conference ended around 1:40 p.m., investigators in Wilkes County received a tip and kicked off a search for Evelyn near a pond in Wilkes County. The pond was located north of Wilkesboro.

WVLT News reporters Robert Grant and Justin McDuffie went live shortly after it was revealed that investigators were searching the pond.

Just after 4 p.m., it was reported that the property at the center of the search for Evelyn in Wilkes County, North Carolina was connected to Boswell through family. Property records show a home near the pond is owned by a family member of William McCloud — the boyfriend of Evelyn's grandmother.

At around 5:20 p.m., the Wilkes County Sheriff's Office announced the search for Evelyn in the pond was inconclusive. Investigators used a Remote Operated Vehicle to search the pond and found nothing.

On Wednesday evening, a friend of Megan Boswell's spoke to WVLT News. The friend said she believed Megan knew where Evelyn was and who had her. Investigators have said that Megan has continued to offer conflicting stories.

Later that evening, WVLT News spoke with McCloud over the telephone. McCloud had called A-Hood Bonding in Kingsport, Tennessee, and WVLT News reporter Gwendolyn Ducre interviewed him via the phone.

McCloud said he had only seen Evelyn one or two times since he began dating Angela Boswell in June 2019. He said he had offered to do a polygraph test and offered his DNA to investigators.

As of about 10 p.m. on Wednesday night, the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office said there were no updates on Evelyn.

February 27, 2020

Angela Boswell and William McCloud appeared in Bristol court. McCloud's bond was lowered to $10,000 with a caveat that he wear an ankle monitor if he was released.

McCloud's grandmother, Mary McCloud, said her grandson and Angela Boswell came to her home on February 21, the same day the two were arrested, and asked for gas money. Mary said her grandson's feet were wet.

At around 5 p.m., police in Yadkinville, North Carolina, confirmed they were investigating a tip that Evelyn was spotted at a KFC there with her grandmother and McCloud a few weeks ago.

At around 7 p.m., the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office addressed claims that Boswell was pregnant.

Captain Andy Seabolt said, "I cannot confirm or deny her pregnancy. What I can tell you is that the jail medical staff keeps track of pregnant inmates for obvious purposes. On Monday, 2/24, there were 4 pregnant inmates. On Tuesday, 2/25, there were 4 pregnant inmates. Megan Boswell was booked in at 9:19 pm on Tuesday. The pregnant inmate count went to 5 on Tuesday, 2/25, at 11:00 pm when a pregnant woman was booked in. On Wednesday, 2/26, the pregnant inmate count was 5 total."

February 28, 2020

On February 28, investigators confirmed they were investigating a mobile home in Sullivan County. The man who lived at the home said investigators took something from the scene.

The man, identified as Zachary Warfield, said he saw officials digging up "soft ground" near the home.

As of about 4 p.m., the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation had received more than 750 tips, but there had been no confirmed sightings of Evelyn Boswell.

March 1, 2020

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said they had received more than 770 tips related to Evelyn's disappearance, but none of them had led to confirmed sightings.

The reward for information leading to finding her has reached more than $61,000.

March 2, 2020

On Monday, Megan Boswell appeared in court before a judge. Boswell was charged with false reporting. The judge denied Boswell's request to lower her bond from $25,000 to $10,000.

Her next court date was set for May 8 at 9 a.m.

The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office asked for the public to stop sharing false information on social media.

March 4, 2020

William McCloud appeared in court. A WJHL crew caught him on camera trying to talk to Angela Boswell, Evelyn's grandmother, and he appeared to be blowing kisses at someone.

McCloud was arraigned for theft of property and was released, though a judge denied his bond reduction request. He was required to wear an ankle monitor as a condition of his release.

He was set to appear in court again on March 24.

March 6, 2020

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation announced that the remains of a 15-month-old believed to be Evelyn Boswell were found. The remains were found at a property that belonged to a family member of Megan Boswell's.

Investigators said the remains were transported for an autopsy and positive ID.

March 9, 2020

Megan Boswell appeared in a Sullivan County court on Monday morning, marking her first appearance since the remains believed to be Evelyn were found.

A judge raised her bond to $150,000.

During the hearing investigators with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation revealed details about what the found during the search that led to the discovery of remains.

TBI special agent Brian Fraley testified in court that when he interviewed Megan Boswell, she made several false statements, which he said cost investigators time during the investigation.

Fraley said a body of a child approximately one year to one-and-a-half years old was found during a search at a home in the 500 block of Muddy Creek Road belonging to Megan’s father, brother and grandmother.

Investigators found clothing matching the description of the clothes Evelyn was last seen in, as well as other child’s clothing, toys and diapers.

Boswell's case is expected to be bound over to a grand jury in April.

Copyright 2020 WVLT News. All rights reserved.