PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- An Indianapolis woman said she is thankful to be alive after contracting an aggressive bacterial infection, according to a report from WISH TV.
Taylor Bryant believes she caught the infection during a family vacation in Tennessee.
Bryant went to an urgent care clinic after she became nauseous and had a cramp in her right leg during the trip. According to medical records, she was prescribed an antibiotic, but her condition did not improve.
“It started to blister up, and then it kind of just went through here and then went up. The skin was dying off because it was turning all black and then little pieces were coming off at a time,” Bryant said.
After she returned home she was diagnosed with cellulitis, a common bacterial infection that can become life-threatening if left untreated.
Doctors suspect she contracted the infection from a hot tub.
Bryant said her body is continuing to fight off the infection after weeks of antibiotics.
According to the Mayo Clinic, cellulitis is most commonly caused when the streptococcus or staphylococcus bacteria enter a body through broken skin.
It can also lead to an increasingly common, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection known as MRSA.
"Although cellulitis can occur anywhere on your body, the most common location is the lower leg," the Mayo Clinic's website said. "Bacteria are most likely to enter disrupted areas of skin, such as where you've had recent surgery, cuts, puncture wounds, an ulcer, athlete's foot or dermatitis. Animal bites can also cause cellulitis. Bacteria can also enter through areas of dry, flaky skin or swollen skin."
Untreated cellulitis can reach the deepest layer of skin which could cause necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria) to develop.
Anyone who is experiencing symptoms including:
- Red area of skin that tends to expand
- Red spots
- Skin dimpling
Should see a doctor as soon as possible.
Copyright 2019 WVLT via WJHL All rights reserved.