Woman cooks brisket in her bathtub

Published: Jul. 13, 2016 at 5:25 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

We all love to grill out, but not inside. That's exactly what one Knoxville woman tried, but it didn't end so well. Local 8 News Anchor Lauren Davis shows us what happened when she tried to smoke brisket in her bathtub.

It's a picture everyone is talking about. Beef brisket smoking in a bathtub. A woman placed charcoal in her tub, lit it on fire and tried cooking beef in her bathroom. Danny Beeler, the Knoxville Fire Marshal, says, "That's a bewilderment a first to me having a fire inside a tub and cooking."

A bewilderment for the fire marshal, and a concern for neighbor Laura Thames who lives next door. She says, "I found out it was brisket when they were speaking to another fireman and said you got to come up here and see this."

Neighbors called 9-1-1 when they noticed smoke filling their apartment. Thames says, "I was like what's going on. She said the lady was in there and the smoke filled. It had woken them up and it was coming into their apartment."

Firefighters have never seen anything like this. Thames says, "One of the firemen asked if we wanted to finish cooking it for her. We said no no we don't."

The whole thing is pretty surprising, but not really as uncommon as you might think. Beeler says, "We had a similar incident where someone had a grill indoor cooking."

For Thames it had her blood pressure rising. Thames says, "To me now she's a danger because we don't know what she's in there doing."

Beeler reminds everyone not to have an open flame inside.