* 1 can whole tomatoes, pureed
* 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
* 2 small onions, chopped
* 1 ½ tsp garlic
* Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
* 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 4 large poblano chiles, deseeded and cut in half
Step 1: Preheat oven to 425.
Step 2: Mix tomato puree, chopped jalapeno, half the onions, and 1 tsp garlic.
Step 3: Season with a pinch of salt.
Step 4: Pour this sauce into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
Step 5: In a medium bowl, combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onions, ½ tsp garlic, cumin, 3/4 cup water and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 6: Dividing evenly, stuff poblano halves with bean mixture; place on top of sauce in baking dish.
Step 7: Sprinkle poblanos with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
Step 8: Bake covered about 45 minutes. Uncover, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more.